3/30/17 Steering Committee meeting
- 4/20 from 7 to 9pm, doors at 6pm hopefully
- Cummings, Sarbanes, and Ruppersberger have agreed
- We’ve invited Van Hollen w/o response
- Cardin was invited but not confirmed the date
- Topic will be how Trump’s agenda affects Baltimore City directly
- Criminal justice reform, immigration, and education will be the main topics
- We want to allow the MoC to give introductory statements for 15 minutes
- Invite speakers who have been impacted by one of the three topic issues and ask a question (45 minutes)
- General Q&A moderated by member of BMore, also acting as a timekeeper (1hr)
- War Memorial has capacity of 1000 people
- Very much want diversity in audience members, and don’t want to just release them online
- Looking to give blocks of about 200 tickets to organizations that are speaking
- Some reserved for Indivisible members
- Because they are free tickets, there is a problem with no-shows. We’d like to have day-of first-come-first served walk-ins.
- Misc. info
- Parking will be hard, will give clear parking instructions
- Thinking about a postcard with action items on every chain (or something like that)
- Going to cost about $600 total, BMore member is fronting this money and we’re looking to have a pass-the-hat fundraiser during the town hall. The budget doesn’t include $ for promotions or handouts. The space has AV equipment.
- We’re going to need about 24 or more volunteers for set up, etc.
- Things that need help!
- A team of volunteers to get there before 6pm. If you’re interested in volunteering, send me an email and I can put you into contact.
- Promotion to our individual groups – This event isn’t public knowledge but you should be talking with your individual groups about saving the date.
Baltimore Area Indivisible Website
- Live, but a lot of the content is missing.
- There should be a live stream of the town hall on our website.
- We should have a strategy of how the content is written.
- We’ll wait for more people who have worked on the website to continue this conversation.
- April 29th
- We need more information, those that have spearheaded this aren’t here.
- Indivisible Towson chartering a bus to the science march on April 22nd. If you’re interested in getting on this bus, contact send me an email and I can put you into contact with the organizer.
- Four special elections coming up: Georgia, Kansas, Montana, South Carolina, (plus one in California which is a safe seat for Democrats)
- These are vacant b/c previous MoC was appointed to cabinet
- Generally low turnout, possible for an energetic group to come in and sway the election.
- Georgia’s 6th District – Jon Ossoff
- Attend phone banking meetings
- Call your friends and family who live in this area
- Virginia and New Jersey are having a governor’s race
- Beyond the special elections
- Swing Left, Flippable, Progressive Maryland, National Democratic Redistricting Committee
- Indivisible can be hosting political anti-Trump forums
- We could host clinics to teach potential progressive candidates on the ins and outs of running for an elected office, prepare them for campaigning
- Invite people / organizations to our meetings that are tuned into local and national elections
- Going north into PA for voter registration drives
- Jon Ossoff
- Attend one of two phone bank opportunities to call voters in his district.
- Donate money to his campaign.
- Call your friends and family who live in this district to support his campaign.
- Senator Cardin
- Continue to all
- Have each of your Indivisible groups to write a letter to Senator Cardin’s state director Carleton Atkinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.